
That's me, visiting yet another historic site in London! The majority of my fourth day in London was spent here, at the Tower of London, which has a long, long history and has served many purposes in its time. As I explored the tower, I learned about its many functions, including prison, menagerie, armoury, and Royal Mint, to name only a few. I didn't even see all there is to see at this site, and I was still blown away by the rich history on display. If you're ever intending to visit the Tower, I strongly suggest making an entire day of it if you really want to fully appreciate it. There are so many different things to take in, from displays of armour and cannons to cases full of old coins, and, of course, the Beefeaters and the crown jewels. There are also tours that run regularly for those who would like to hear the stories instead of just reading them off the displays, and other activities for children and families. It isn't a cheap place to visit, but it's well worth the money if you take your time and explore every inch that you can.
 |
| Oooh, shiny! |

This suit of armour, the collection of breastplates, and the fellow on the horse are just a few examples of the beautiful armour, uniforms, and weapons that were on display, ranging from the medieval to objects from the very recent past. It was a bit difficult to get good pictures because of the lighting and the fact that pretty much everything was in a glass case (understandably). There were also some examples of implements of torture and punishment that were used when the Tower was a prison--gruesome to look at, but great fun for those of us who appreciate the chance to scratch the surface of London's darker past.
 |
| A Yeoman Warder, or Beefeater |
Once I'd explored inside for a while, I passed by the gift shop and bought a selection of postcards for friends back home, as well as a stuffed Beefeater bear for myself. How could I resist something like that? I'd have second thoughts about it later, when it came time to pack my suitcase for the sleeper train, but you know what they say about hindsight and perfect vision! This done, I went out into yet another lovely, sunny day (I'll probably say this a dozen times or more throughout my posts, but I really did have dry, comfortable weather for the duration of my trip, and I remain thankful for it, considering the UK's reputation for being generally sodden) and took in the sights that I could find in the courtyards. I knew I would never forgive myself if I left the Tower without pictures of the Welsh Guards and the Beefeaters, so I made sure to snap a few as soon as I could. You really have to admire their willingness to stand there are let people take pictures of them all day. I learned that the Beefeaters are not just regular employees in funny uniforms, but actual retired Armed Forces members. I've read stories about them not being hesitant to give people a thorough tongue-lashing for not behaving properly in or around the Tower, so I guess the fact that they are all ex-military shouldn't have come as a surprise. Luckily, I didn't do anything to draw their attention to me, and quickly escaped with a picture!

Finally, it came time for me to go and see the crown jewels. Security is tight at this point, and a strict no-photograph policy is enforced around the jewels themselves, so I don't have pictures of them to share, but I can say that they are all gorgeous pieces. It isn't just a display of crowns and jewelry, but also orbs, trumpets, plates, robes, and all kinds of other objects that are currently used or were historically used in royal ceremonies. It was amazing to see so many jewels all in one place, but it was equally amazing to be so close to objects that hold so much symbolic meaning. These pieces were, and are, physical representations of the power and influence of the monarchy. The Queen might not have as much power today as she might have had hundreds of years ago, but, all the same, you can feel that old authority radiating from the crown jewels.
 |
The only picture I was able to get, snapped while
I was standing in line to go inside. |
After seeing the crown jewels, I finally left the Tower and spent a little while sitting near Tower Bridge. Unable to resist, I woke up my parents (it was only seven or eight in the morning for them) with the typical "Guess where I am?" phone call. I loved the contrast of having the old, historic Tower behind me and the ultra-modern glass spheres and spires across the water in front of me, connected by the iconic Tower Bridge.
 |
| The view of the Tower, rising up behind me. |
 |
| It's so incredible to see this in movies now and know that I was sitting right there. |
 |
| Seriously, these are right across the water from the Tower. |
After my visit to the Tower, I passed by the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery, which are right near each other, but I don't have much to report about those. I think I was getting a bit burned out when it came to galleries and museums at this point, so my lack of things to say about them certainly doesn't mean that they are inherently boring to visit! The National Gallery was quite nice, and it was cool to discover that they keep cushions on the floors in certain rooms so that artists can come and practice by sketching sculptures and other works. There was a wide variety of art to admire, and you could definitely make a day of it if art is really your thing. I was pretty tired by the time I got to the Portrait Gallery, so I really didn't spend much time in there, but it would probably have been interesting as well if I'd had a bit more energy. Admission to both galleries is free, so it was no problem to just spend a little time in each one. Free admission to museums and galleries was one thing I really loved about London. It makes things so much more accessible for young people and people travelling on a budget, who want to be able to learn about things and see these amazing collections but might not be able to if admission were charged.
With another busy day behind me, I went back to the hotel to get some rest before embarking on one of the parts of my trip to which I was looking forward the most: a day at the London Zoo.
Continue to Day 5
No comments:
Post a Comment