Monday, 23 March 2015

Go Go Gadget

I haven't had any preparations to post about for a bit, so I thought I'd say a little something about a gadget I've purchased to accompany me on my trip, and hopefully on future trips as well!

This little thing is called the FosPower FUSE and it is compatible with US, UK, EU, and AU power sockets. The EU plug also appears to be of the shape used in China, Hong Kong, and a few other countries. The unit features one AC plug and one USB plug, which can be used separately or simultaneously for charging laptops, cell phones, and other devices. The UK plug is standard on the outside of the unit, and you open the unit up to access the US and EU plugs. The AU plug is created by rotating the prongs of the US plug into the slanted AU position, and the EU plug is created by attaching the EU prongs to the US prongs (the socket-looking thing on the top of the unit is actually the EU plug--you use that socket to attach it to the US prongs). It is compatible with all worldwide standard voltages and includes an extra fuse in case one blows while you're on your trip. It also comes with a soft drawstring carrying pouch. It was $15.00 on Amazon.ca.

The only downside I could see with the FUSE is that its shape is a little awkward. It's a blocky unit with three large prongs sticking off the back, so it's not going to tuck nicely in against other objects in your bag. I don't find it heavy at all, but then, I'm using a suitcase and not a backpack. If weight is a big issue and you're watching every ounce you bring on your trip, the unit does have some heft to it.

I haven't tried it out with any devices yet, but a few reviews state that you're better off not plugging in high-demand appliances like hair dryers, because they can cause the fuse to blow. Luckily, with my short hair, appliances like hair dryers and straighteners aren't at the top of my list of electrical needs.

Important thing to keep in mind: just because your adapter can handle the voltage in another country, doesn't mean your devices can! This applies to all adapters, not just this one. To my understanding, most devices nowadays are compatible with multiple voltages, and you can look on your device's charger to see what it can handle. If you need to charge a device that isn't compatible with the country's voltage, you need a converter rather than just an adapter, and these are generally bigger and more expensive. Of course, what's a little extra money on a converter, compared to the cost of replacing your fried device?

No comments:

Post a Comment